Here’s an update on me revisiting some of the tests I did last year. First up: Enneargram.
recap: The Enneagram refers to the nine different types or styles, with each representing a worldview and archetype that resonates with the way people think, feel and act in relation to the world, others and themselves. It is much more than a personality profile that offers insight into core personality traits, as it delves deeper into the core motivations, defence mechanisms and fears that often lie in the unconscious layers of our personality structure. Your Enneagram core type is like a home base from which we make sense of individuation, integration and development. Other words used to describe the idea of ‘type’ include resonance, identification, lens, perspective or style.
I am: Enneargram 5 – investigator/quiet specialist with type 4 wing.
So how’s this for accurately describing me (I highlighted the most applicable): Enneagram Fives have the motivational need to know and understand. Fives value making sense of the world around them and, as a result, objectivity and knowledge are important to them. Fives strive for independence, appreciate privacy and tend to conserve their resources to ensure future independence. At their best, others will experience Fives as visionary and mindful. They offer the gift of non-attachment to themselves and the world. At their worst, others may experience a Five as stingy, intellectually arrogant and disconnected from their heart, as they retreat into their mind to avoid being engulfed or intruded on.
Here’s some of the my behavioral patterns that are pin-point accurate:
- Fives enjoy spending time alone and are never bored when doing so. So true. I can spend days alone before I feel the need to see anyone.
- Their private time is time to recharge and build up their resources, which enables Fives to set clear boundaries and limits. Take away my personal time and watch me burn-out and become unstable.
- Prefer to scale down or do without rather than having to increase dependency on others. May lead a minimalist lifestyle, or can also lead to hoarding (Lol my collecting habit). Fives generally work very carefully with resources
- They have a hunger for knowledge and understanding that leads them to explore information in great depth. Watch me research anything (Religion, science, movies, music, philosophy).
- They have the ability to categorize information, events and people into partitions in their mind. This enables them to keep various interests separate and creates very strong boundaries between different aspects of their life and relationships. I do this with sport, music, life, money, geek-stuff, friends, family: Each one has a specific organized box in my mind that requires thought, organizing, planning and experience in.
- Fives are easily drained by emotionally charged situations and open-ended events or projects – Yeah
My most basic fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable. I’ve had the dream/nightmare of being left behind all my life.
On my best balanced-self: Become visionaries, Open-minded. Make pioneering discoveries and find entirely new ways of doing and perceiving things. Observe everything with extraordinary perceptiveness and insight. Most mentally alert, curious, searching intelligence: nothing escapes their notice. Foresight and prediction. Able to concentrate. Attain skillful mastery of whatever interests them. Excited by knowledge. Highly independent.
My average-self: Conceptualizing and fine-tuning everything before acting. Become specialized, and often “intellectual,” often challenging accepted ways of doing things. Increasingly detached. Preoccupied with their interpretations rather than reality. Fascinated by off-beat Subjects, even those involving dark and disturbing elements. Detached from the practical world. May take an antagonistic stance toward anything which would interfere with their inner world and personal vision. Become provocative and abrasive, with intentionally extreme and radical views. Cynical and argumentative.
On my worst / most unbalanced-self: Become reclusive and isolated from reality. Reject and repulse others and all social attachments. Get obsessed yet frightened by their threatening ideas. Seeking oblivion, they may commit suicide or have a psychotic break with reality. Deranged, explosively self-destructive, with schizophrenic overtones. Generally corresponds to the Schizoid Avoidant and Schizotypal personality disorders.
Pretty intense hey!
Knowing and understanding these things is knowing a big and deep part of who I am. Next post I’ll go into the wing-section of the Enneargram.